Thursday, April 7, 2011

Soul Surfer

I'm going to see this movie tomorrow when it comes out with a couple friends, and I'm REALLY excited to see it. It's based on the true story of Bethany Hamilton and it's about a teenage surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack, and overcomes the odds by even staying alive. She goes on to become one of the best surfers in the US, with only one arm.



I loved it as soon as I saw the trailer, and after watching many more interviews and videos about the true story, and hearing a couple broadcasts interviewing Bethany Hamilton on our local Christian radio station, I am dying to see it! :) While it's not labeled as a "religious" movie, it maintains a Christian view through the whole thing by including a band performing "Blessed be Your Name", which is the song that helped Bethany and her family through that hard time of their lives, as well as reading from the Bible for comfort, and something as simple as praying at the dinner table before they eat.

My favorite line from all the trailers (and I'm sure it will be my favorite line in the whole movie!) is when Bethany says very determinedly, "I don't need easy, I just need possible." My second favorite part is the conversation in the clip below.



I'm really looking forward to seeing it (as you can tell!) and I'll let you know how it is! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah~
    I thought I'd share my thoughts on this movie since you brought it up. I haven't seen it yet but I did see the trailer. I am SO excited to see Christians putting out good movies that I can actually let my children watch. But with this movie I don't know if I'll let them watch it. My reasoning is this, I have boys ages 13 and 14 (Titus wouldn't watch it anyway :P) and there is a LOT of flesh just out there in this movie. I don't know if there's a way they could have done a movie about a surfer girl differently but I don't think it's probably a good idea to take them to see a show where some of what the girls are wearing is little more than glorified underwear. Just food for thought...

    Blessings,
    Grace
    http://www.silvamoose.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my readers!