Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Waiting Wednesday: Owen

Today I would like you to meet someone who's picture has been implanted in my mind since I first saw him on the RR website - Owen:

His picture from 2007 or 2008 when he first got listed
His picture from May 2009

His picture from May 2010 - the photo that drew me to him

His recent picture from (May?) 2011

Boy, Born December 2007
This darling little boy is waiting for his forever family, and we believe his condition to be one called Saethre-Chotzen Syndrome.  
Also known as Acrocephalosyndyldactyly Type Chotzen or Saethre-Chotzen Syndrome. Chotzen Syndrome is a dominant genetic condition. They have a tower-shaped skull (acrocephaly), fused fingers and/or toes (syndactyly), asymmetric face, widely spaced eyes, droopy eyelid (ptosis), strabismus (crossed or "wall-eyes"), beak-like nose, small upper jaw, and jutting out lower jaw (prognathism).   Some plates in their skull close early.   This is called craniosynostosis.   Often people with Chotzen Syndrome are mildly hard of hearing. Sometimes they're unusually short.   Occasionally the closing of the plates in their skull can compress their brain and slow their development.   Sometimes boys with Chotzen Syndrome have undescended testicles.  
$2935.00 is available towards the cost of my adoption!

By looking at him you can tell he has a lot of medical needs.. but think about it this way - What if you were at the hospital around Christmas time 3 1/2 years ago. You were in the maternity ward, delivering your perfect Christmas present. As he came out, you knew something was wrong. Your brand new baby boy's head didn't seem the right shape. His eyes were too far apart. You started to count his fingers and toes to make sure they were all there. They seemed stuck together. The doctor came in and told you Chotzen Syndrome, and explained what that was. Both you and your spouse are in tears, and the doctor tells you that you have the option of giving him up. Then he shows you some pictures older children that also Chotzen Syndrome, and are thriving and fighting through their struggles with dignity. And he shows you pictures of children whose parents decided to not to keep them, and have died because no one cared enough to give them the care they needed. Are you going to send your child who you already love so much of to a place of loneliness to die? Or are you going to keep your sweet baby boy, be there for him when he needs you, and love him unconditionally? Most likely you will choose the later. Now what would happen if the doctor told you that your sweet baby was on the other side of the world, dying with out him mommy or daddy. Would you go get him and save him no matter what the ransom?

Now take some time to watch this video. Who cares how long it is! Even if you have already seen it, like I have, I just watched it again, and it's more powerful than the first time I watched it. It's worth it, I promise.




Now doesn't that put things in perspective? Will you email Andrea right now to start the process to go save your boy before he dies with out you? I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. This little boy has touched my heart. I would love to adopt him but I have to convince my husband first! I hope he finds a home soon. This is a very treatable condition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep this sweet boy in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my readers!