Saturday, September 29, 2012

The other part of James 1:27

So often when we read James 1:27, we focus on only one part of it - "care for orphans". But that's not the whole verse... take a look.

James 1:27 -Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

It says to 'care for orphans and widows in their distress'. That's always bothered me.  Almost everywhere in the Bible where it says to care for the orphan or fatherless, it also says to care for the widow.

Yet, I don't believe we as the church (my church personally, and the church as a whole) have done a very good job of obeying the other part of the command in James 1:27.

That's why I was thrilled when someone in our church put together a work day to help out our dear friend Betty! She needed some help preparing her house for the winter, and since she is always one of the first to show up to help others (she has donated many things to Handiwork for Lilly, not everything is listed on our blog yet...), it was wonderful to bless her in return!

Last Saturday about 20 people showed up to help at her house, and we got a lot accomplished!!! The cleaning the inside was done before lunch time, but the painting and outside work lasted well into the afternoon.

I just got access to the pictures (I didn't take any) as I'm putting together a board thing for church on Sunday, so here's some of my favorites in random order. All pictures taken by Auntie Crackers Debbie G and Brenda M. :)

Rachel.. my BFF and partner in crime!




Mesa Papa... he was up very high on the ladder, a LOT... which is very impressive for him! ;)

Nana aka Anita and I... we all love her! She's our babysitter when I'm not around, and she's a tiny bit crazy! ;)

Miss Betty herself! :)


Umm... maybe she's more than a tiny bit crazy?? hehe Love you Nana!!

Bag feet... the person to whom they belong wore old pants, but forgot to wear old shoes, and didn't want to ruin their good shoes.
Yes, that person would be me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my readers!