Friday, October 5, 2012

The R-word.

It's Day 5 of 31 for 21...

We (those of us in the special needs and Down syndrome communities) want raise awareness about the R-word (retard. retarded). To put an end to the use of it. When you use the word, it hurts those with special needs (such as Down syndrome, like my brothers have), their families, and their loved ones.

Why does it hurt? The R-word hurts because it is exclusive. It’s offensive. It’s derogatory. The R-word is hate speech. (Taken from here, click to read more about the history of the R-word.)

Today, I'm going to ask you to PLEASE stop using the R-word. 

You have no idea who you are hurting by using it, and it's socially unacceptable. You can sign the petition here (or click on the button below) to stop using the word. Thank you!!

Let's replace the R-word with a new R-word: RESPECT!

"You're allowed to be humiliating, degrading and hurtful. I'm allowed to petition you to at least recognize what you say and be aware of the option you have to stop." Tim Shriver

r-word.org

Also please take some time to watch this awesome video! :)


Yes, I know this is a repost of a post I've posted before... but it's a message worth sharing again. :)

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my readers!